Any sort of struggles with my new job aside, can I just say, I am EXCITED to finally have a snow day?!?!
When I worked at the hospital, snow days just filled me with dread as I would have to make it to work somehow regardless of conditions. I absolutely hate driving in the snow and I've always lived just far enough away that it was an extremely long and nerve wracking drive.
When you start your shoveling from inside, you know it's bad out there. Look how thrilled M looks! At least our large supply of various face masks are really coming in handy.
My original plan for today after class was over was to do all my wrapping but last night I decided to wrap M's gifts before he got home (I wasn't sure if he was going into work today or not), got carried away and ended up wrapping all of them- even M's gifts to other people! Man, that guy is lucky. The wrapped presents under the tree really ups the Christmas atmosphere though so I'm glad I did it.
Aside from getting my keyboard covered in Jelly Baby dust while typing this, my new plan is to do whatever I want. Perfect, right? I thought so. Usually I think of all these big, grand plans that I don't end up accomplishing which makes me grumpy so I think I'm going to aim for lowkey and anything above that is gravy. Work smarter, not harder, amiright?
If you were wondering what exactly "do whatever I want" will proabably look for me over the next few hours before I face the music and finally go out to shovel, I've graciously included the following list of Ashley's Snow Day Essentials for you.
~Sweatpants. Obviously. I'm not going to subject you to a picture of my sweatpants but I prefer a thick French terry, 100% cotton. Pretty warm, still breathable, minimal static. If you like sweaty crevasses feel free to wear some fleece though, it is your warmest option, I'll give you that.
~Books. I got into a reading slump and the very best way to get out of that is to read something from someone like Terry Pratchett. Hilarious, well written, light but smart. I just created a wizard character on Diablo III and named her after the character in this book so this is the one I decided to jump into. Soooo good, you can absolutely not go wrong with Discworld.
~Sweet jams, preferably Christmas. Because the tree is up and it's snowing out, I mean c'mon. Don't worry, you can still get pretty weird with it. I mean...
~TV. Now's a good time to watch a movie. Nothing to exhilarating, maybe a Christmas movie? Also acceptable are mysteries from the 70s because I'm kind of thinking about watching Columbo.
That about sums it up. Guess I better get to it!







EEEE! SNOW!!! We almost never get snow here, so I'm living vicariously through you here, Ashley.
ReplyDeleteI concur with your various stay-at-home needs. Yes to tea, although my personal faves are licorice, lemon/ginger and green tea. I don't wear sweatpants (I don't even own a pair), but I do wear camo pants and loads of sweaters, plus the most plush and soft sheepskin slippers you ever saw!
Books - I've read some Pratchett! I'm hoping to get my current book finished by the end of the year (I'm reading "Annihilation" by Jeff Vandermeer - it was a movie with Natalie Portman).
I got some wool from my mom and started experimenting with it last night. We'll see what kind of monstrosity I can come up with, heh heh.
No Christmas jams here! I got my fill working in a year-round Christmas store for 11 years! My go-tos are: Xanadu soundtrack, ELO's "Time" and I've been getting into The Mountain Goats heavily (we saw them in Portland, OR last year), as well as Philly female rapper Dessa.
TV-wise, we're currently watching "Master of None" on Netflix and LOVE it.
A very Merry Christmas to you, Ashley!
We ended up getting a foot- I have friends in New Hampshire who got 2 feet!! I like it now that I don't really have to drive in it haha.
ReplyDeleteI'm very pro-sweatpants but absolutely NEVER out of the house. I should've added slippers- I have a sheepskin pair myself! Essential!
I hate popcorn following my summer working at a movie theater (getting coated in that gross butter will do that to you) so I understand your aversion to Christmas music haha. You've got yourself some good alternatives though. ;)
Merry Christmas to you as well!