Wednesday, April 14, 2021

I read: Guards! Guards!

 

Yesterday, I had my second round of vaccinations. I'm thrilled to have them done but, like many, this means I felt like complete shit today. I would describe the feeling as being similar to having drunk too much cheap wine the night before, except instead of having had a fun night with friends, I got stabbed.* 

I'm not complaining though- aside from the benefit of, you know, being vaccinated, I got a day off work where I could wrap myself up in a quilt and do absolutely nothing productive whatsoever, guilt-free. I created a nest of blankets on the couch with my laptop, Switch controller, sewing, and book within easy reach. 

And therein we come to the real point of the post which is, I finished my book. 

***

With all my extra free time today, I finished reading Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. It's one of my favorites because it's the very first appearance of The City Watch, the top Discworld storyline in my opinion which 8 out of the 41 Discworld novels are based on. In it, a would-be ruler of the [in]famous city of Ankh-Morpork decides to take over by summoning a dragon  of the extremely large and fire breathing variety, which isn't supposed to- shouldn't- exist. To no one's surprise, there's some serious repercussions to this. To everyone's surprise, it's up to the small, ragtag, usually ineffectual Watch to save the day.

As with any Pratchett book, I enjoyed it thoroughly and would recommend it to anyone and the only reason I didn't give it a full 5 star rating was because Nothing is Perfect and I will never be able to bring myself to give anything a 5 star rating.


Star rating: 4.8/5

2021 Book Count: 6


*I'm already feeling much better and will be back to work tomorrow. Don't let the potential for a fake hangover stop you from getting vaccinated!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are feeling better after your second jab, Ashley! As my mom said, "I've had polio. Get the COVID vaccine!" I am still waiting to be booked for my first jab, sigh.

    ReplyDelete