Saturday, February 20, 2021

Crafty: Hos, Ghigh, Batlh, words to live by

So far my vacation is going well. In true Ashley fashion, I do have some concerns that pop up in my negative brain, suggesting I didn't make the best use of my time off but the list I made of stuff I wanted to accomplish filled with checkmarks says otherwise. 

Like I mentioned before, I've been working on a few projects here and there. That was one of the biggest things I wanted to accomplish while on vacation- I've had these almost done works-in-progress hovering over me, I just wanted to finish and get on with my new ideas. I know some people have tons of WIPs going at all times but that just makes me feel overwhelmed, especially if I've not been in the best brain-space. I'm slowly but surely coming out of my winter-induced brain blahs though and was able to power through not one but two of the projects and finish them! Without further ado...


I bought this pattern from this shop on Etsy. It was super cheap and I loved the subject matter so it seemed like the perfect choice for me to at the time. It was extremely enjoyable to stitch, I highly recommend it if you're so inclined! Samplers always come together pretty quickly and in in a really satisfying way and this one was no exception. The design and made to fit in a 5x7 frame- I'm sure I have one around somewhere, I just have to choose which one and figure out where to put it..


The words in the middle are Klingon for "strength, duty, honor." I especially wanted to do this one because it fit in with a couple other nerdy pieces I had done that hang proudly in my house. I'm slowly building up a collection of "home sweet home" or similar type of projects with the hopes that by the time we buy our own house I'll have a bunch to display prominently in a sort of art installation welcoming people into our home. 

That's the idea anyway.

I only have a couple done so far which is probably for the best as I only have so much wall space at the moment. Here's the first one I completed, which is adapted a pattern from this book.


You see this almost immediately upon entering our apartment- we even had a real estate agent exclaim "whoa, looks like we've got some Trekkies here!" when leaving with the new owners of our building once (he was not wrong).

The other one I've done is a self-drafted pattern I completed in 2018.


I've seen many iterations of this particular pattern/theme but I'm especially pleased with how my version came out. If my memory serves (and there's a good possibility it doesn't), I made this the very year I got into Doctor Who in a big way. I later got M into it and we've watched all classic Doctor together (which I had never seen either) and are now making our way through the newer batch (first time for M, second for me!).

What other nerdy versions of this should I do? I'm open to suggestions! I'm thinking a Firefly themed one for sure. I may have to expand more into video games for M's sake- I've seen a few Zelda patterns out there.

Speaking of nerdy cross stitch things and also M, my second finished project is part of his birthday gift,  completed just in time for the big day tomorrow!


The picture could be better, I know, but I forgot to snap one pre-framing and this particular frame is incredibly shiny and impossible to take a good photo of. Ah well.

M's favorite Star Trek is Deep Space Nine and his favorite character is Garak, so I thought I'd stitch it up for him. I made the pattern myself and I'm pleased with the result. I think M will be too! Tomorrow we plan to have some excellent beer at a brewery we haven't visited in ages, then go home to my famous salsa verde chicken tacos and cake. M isn't a big celebrator of... anything but he'd never say no to good beer, games, and tacos, that's for sure. Plus, it'll be a great way to wrap up my vacation. 

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment