A normal response to this from a stranger in this situation would probably be "oh that's nice," maybe ask for very basic details, I dunno. This lady though, decided to tell me about the son of a WWII veteran that came through her line that day that "wouldn't have anything to do with Japan."
Umm. Ok.
I spent the car ride home wondering if the cashier really had that customer come through her line (highly unlikely- how would that come up in conversation?!) or if this was her way of voicing her disapproval of my vacation choices. Ridiculously too, might I add. First of all, they are currently our allies. Secondly, I'm certainly aware of what went down in WWII and know that Japan was not aligned with the US then of course, but about 90% of Toyama, the prefecture that Kurobe Gorge is in, was totaled in WWII so war sucks for EVERYone, ok? And besides that, it pissed me off because I'm actually super proud of the fact that I went to Japan.
Taking that trip was something I never thought I'd get a chance to do/be able to afford to do and I am so thrilled that it actually, somehow, happened. The Kurobe Gorge portion of my trip was especially fantastic and easily one of my favorite memories so I'm going to share it with you now because fuck that Lowe's cashier.
![]() |
| This is the town at the base of the cog railway |
Merriam-Webster defines a cog railway as "a steep mountain railroad that has a rail with cogs engaged by a cogwheel on the locomotive to ensure traction." So, basically, the Kurobe cog railway is a steep-ass railway we took up to a mountain to check out the deep gash the Kurobe river had carved out of this beautiful landscape in Toyama.
It was a longish trip up but we didn't mind. It was a beautiful clear day, perfect for what we set out to do which was, apparently, creep up a mountain on a weird small and open train then hike down along the river. Though it wasn't a quick train, we didn't get bored, that's for sure. I grew up in the gorgeous mountains of NC but I was dazzled at the sights all the same.
There's a couple paths to take along the river but unfortunately the one over the bridge was closed. It didn't matter because we had a great stroll along the river regardless. It was an amazing hike and though I am 100% a complainer on hikes due to me being physically out of shape and also being unable to cope with being uncomfortable in any way, shape, or form, even I was too in awe to gripe.
We ended our walk by having lunch at a small, haphazardly placed/set up restaurant on the side of the river near some hot springs. I loved the food in Japan even more than I thought I would and the wild fiddlehead soba I had then did not disappoint.
Once we were sufficiently tired and fed, we marveled at the sights some more then took the train back down the mountain. Such an amazing day. If only that cashier new how much she was missing by holding onto some strange, old, needless prejudices...
[All pictures in this post are mine. Sorry about the photo dump but trust me, I showed restraint. So many wonderful sights to see on that trip!]















No comments:
Post a Comment